Seems like you have made up your mind to bring this huge change in your life. And you are looking for your chances of getting pregnant before period. Here is some useful information which will help you plan better and make your odds way higher. Meanwhile, don’t forget to educate yourself about the early signs of pregnancy.
Your menstrual cycle
Before stepping into this life-changing decision, you should have a clear idea of your monthly reproductive cycle.
It begins with the first day of bleeding (period) and on average lasts 28 to 30 days till the first day of the next period. During the initial 3 to 7 days of your menstrual cycle, you have 30 to 50 ml of bleeding.
But the most important day for you to remember is 14 days down the first day of bleeding. Your body undergoes certain changes giving you the indication that your ovaries have just ovulated. And you are prime to be pregnant.
The maximum chances of getting pregnant before period
If you are a healthy woman in your prime 30s, the maximum chances of getting pregnant before the period is just 20 percent. It seems like a thin figure, right?
Knowing a little secret from us and you can massively boost your odds. The key day here is your ovulation day which is exactly 14 days before the start of your periods. And it carries the best chances of getting pregnant before period.
Your day of ovulation
Certainly, you want to aim for the day of ovulation to get the best chances of getting pregnant before periods. But how to time it, is still the biggest mystery among women.
Firstly, time your monthly cycle if you don’t already know the average duration. And when you subtract 14 days from the estimated first day of the next period, that will roughly be your ovulation day. Furthermore, 3 to 4 days around this day are the most fertile days.
Signs showing that you are ovulating
Besides, your body sends a number of signals from which you can tell you are ovulating or not:
- As you ovulate, your basal body temperature rises by 1 degree. A spike huge enough to feel the change. You feel a little warm and if you keep the record of your temperature, you can easily notice your day of ovulation.
- You will notice a clear egg white like discharge from your cervix, as you approach closer to ovulation.
- Ovulation is accompanied with a sudden sharpness in your sense of smell. If you feel like you are smelling a lot better or smelling differently, you may be ovulating.
- The sudden rush of hormones of ovulation makes your breasts a little sore and tender.
- Not always but usually a mild pain in the lower abdomen in the mid of your cycle indicates your ovulation.
- A streak of blood or brownish discharge near the mid of your cycle is pretty normal. And it indicates your ovulation. However, if the bleeding persists, you should consult your doctor.
- Right at the time of ovulation, you may feel an increase in your libido. Perhaps, it’s a nature’s call to keep the species alive.
- You may feel a little soft and open down there. Which shows that your body is preparing for the mating as well.
Look for these signs to have a pretty good guess of your ovulation. Most noteworthy is to keep your partner ready as well and utilize these 3 days around the ovulation. And you may get pregnant at your first try.
There are ovulation charts and kits available as well for an accurate estimation. But you will probably not going to need it. These tools become important when you are trying for over a year now.
Chances of getting pregnant one week before period
By now you can appreciate the fact that your best chance of getting pregnant is somewhere in the middle of your cycle. But you should keep in mind that not every woman has a similar pattern. Some women can ovulate later in their cycle. So the chances are slim but not zero.
Furthermore, your egg can be fertilized only within 24 hours of ovulation. And your uterus is hostile for the sperms as well giving them a survival time of only 2 to 3 days. All this makes your chances even slimmer.
So if your ovulation occurs in the middle of your cycle, your egg will be excreted out in 3 to 4 days. And without an egg, there is no chance of getting pregnant. The only chance is when you ovulate late and that too is rare.
It all means that your window is quite narrow. Both the egg and sperms have to be there together at the right time.
Chances of getting pregnant just after your periods
Trying a week later is no different than just a week before your periods. If you are not ovulating, you won’t be getting any success. Similar to women ovulating late in their cycle, some women can ovulate early. It gives you some chances but again these are pretty slim.
The best way is to estimate your day of ovulation and plan around it. You know the trick now!
What can you do to get your chances up?
Getting pregnant is not a hard thing. It may take a few months but with these tricks, you can increase your odds greatly:
- Being on the lighter side of the weight is always good to balance your hormones. It steadies your cycles and improves your chances drastically.
- Throw all your anxiety and fear away. It may take a little time but you will get your dream.
- Avoid smoking, alcohol, and caffeine.
- Pre-pregnancy vitamins and minerals can help boost your chances.
- Stay away from any sort of stress in your life. Stress disturbs your hormones and lowers your chances.
- Sleeping timely is pretty important to steady your hormones.
- Eat healthily and stay hydrated.
- A little exercise is good but rushing your exercise routine will do more harm than good.
- Finally, time your ovulation and plan it right with your partner. You can use charting or ovulation kits for it as well.
Also Read: Things To Do Before Pregnancy