You want to know how a pregnancy test with salt would work, but why would you need this homemade test? Pregnancy is indeed the best experience of your life. Although it might sound like something that everyone could have, there are a lot of people out there who are trying to get pregnant but they are unable to do so. This might be because of a number of reasons including fertility problems and weight gain, etc. Whatever the reasons are, after some time the process of trying and waiting becomes really frustrating.
If you are trying to get pregnant you would want to check yourself again and again. Using pregnancy test kits would be an extra burden on our budget. That is where these homemade tests become relevant. Pregnancy test with salt has been in use before all these commercial pregnancy test kits were available. Although there is not a lot of scientific proof to verify the authenticity of this test, people have been successfully doing them for ages. So, trying won’t hurt, neither would it cost you some extra bucks.
Principle of a pregnancy test with salt
The principle behind the pregnancy test with salt is similar to all the other homemade pregnancy tests. These tests aim to detect the hCG hormone in the urine of the pregnant woman. This hormone starts releasing in the urine of the mother after the conception of the baby. Anything that could detect the presence of hCG could be used as a pregnancy test.
Also Read: Toothpaste Pregnancy Test – Is It Reliable?
Things you need to perform the pregnancy test with salt
This is the simplest and easiest test to perform. No expensive equipment is needed to begin with this test. You will find all of the important things already available at your home. You have to make sure that you have all of the following equipment ready before you get started.
- Common table salt. Make sure that the salt is clean and uncontaminated to prevent any misleading results. Take the best quality refined salt that you use for cooking to perform this test as well.
- A clean container. It is recommended that the container should be made up of glass. You can later dispose of it as well. If you are a person who is going to check for pregnancy, again and again, using the same container and washing it would be a good idea.
- A spoon. It could be made of plastic or wood.
That’s it! All these things are easily available at home and you can perform this test whenever you want. You can also repeat it twice or thrice at the same time, just to be sure.
Method of performing the test
Performing the pregnancy test with salt is easier than what you could have imagined. All you have to do is to follow these steps and get the test done.
- Take a clean glass container and make sure it is cleaned properly.
- Collect some urine in the container.
- Take a spoonful of the salt and add it to the urine.
- Shake a bit and wait.
The results of a pregnancy test with salt will come a few minutes after you have added the salt to the urine. If you witness curdling in the mixture that looks like milk, your test is positive. The white flaky appearance on the mixture of urine and salt implies that there was hCG hormone present in the urine. If you witness this result, then probably you are pregnant. On the other hand, if the salt just stays there and no flaky appearance is visible, your test is negative.
This test will save you a lot of money since every time you get a negative result on an expensive pregnancy test kit, you are at loss. If you do not feel satisfied by trying the test once, you can repeat it. The results would be similar and you will be sure as well.
Also Read: Sugar Pregnancy Test – How To Perform?
Precautions while performing the pregnancy test with salt
This test is very easy and performing it is not a difficult thing for you to do at all. But, just in case you want to rely on it, you have to make sure that nothing is playing a part in affecting the results in the wrong way. There are a few precautions that will make your test results even more authentic.
- If you are performing this test, you have to make sure that the timing is right. Your urine has the most concentration of hCG in the morning. This is the best time for you to take the test. Make sure you remember it and wake up early in the morning for this test.
- Perform this test at least a week after your estimated conception. That is when the hormone starts releasing.
- Make sure that the container that you are using for the test is clean. Since you might be repeating the test in the same container, make sure to wash it thoroughly. In this way, no contaminant can affect your test results.
- Mostly for tests like these, people try using substandard salt. You need everything to be sure to get the right result. Make sure you are using the cooking salt for this test.
Should you rely on this test?
Pregnancy test with salt is not a scientifically proven test. That is why relying on it completely is not a smart thing to do. These tests have been in use for thousands of years and some people out there still believe in them. It is a good idea to save money if you have to check for pregnancy quite often. But if this is not the case, you can get the real test done as well. Do not be very happy based on the results of this test. Confirm it by visiting your doctor first.
Since the test is very easy and you do not have to make any extra effort to perform it, there is no harm in trying it. The test saves you a lot of money. But believing the test completely is not a wise idea. Always get proper medical tests done before you actually believe anything.
Also Read: 10 Things To Avoid During Pregnancy